The Indian in the Cupboard: Israeli Craziness

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Israeli Craziness

Let's start out with Shabbat... I woke up on Friday and went out to get my Safta some flowers. I went to a bunch of different places to find good ones and I realized it's Shabbat and the color of Shabbat is usually white! So I got a dozen or so white flowers. I didn't want to spend too much because I know I'll want to do this again soon. So I brought them home and gave them to her and she said thanks but I was a little dissapointed in her reaction because I've been trying all week to be helpful and do nice things but it seems like nothing makes her happy. It is epitomized in the following example:

Safta cooks for me each day which I am extremely grateful for because it saves me a lot of money on food. So she is preparing food, probably the second day I am here, and I have offered in the past to help but she would just blow it off and continue to do it herself. So I think this time maybe I'm being too timid and I need to be more aggressive in trying to help... like it may be a cultural difference I'm not used to. So I get up and try to say in Hebrew and English... I want to help, what can I do. And when she got the message she stopped cutting food and said, "You want to cook? No? Then I do it."

And thus is my life in Tel Aviv haha. It's sad because I am really thankful that I have a place to stay and food to eat but I feel like the fact that we cannot communicate well is causing a lot of miscommunication which is putting negative feelings in the air. I spoke to my mom about it today and basically now I am going to do as much as possible to be overly nice through actions because I really have no other way of showing that I am thankful. I just reorganized my room to make it as clean as I can with the resources I have.

Anyway. I didn't realize that Sephardi services were at 6:30am so when I woke up later that morning to my Safta sleeping I just assumed we weren't going to temple. Later I am questioned about why I slept through services... how was I supposed to know?

The rest of the day I read my book... I actually read 2 books... and then waited on the porch patiently for the sun to set so that I could use my computer again. Then, I find that I have internet in the apartment as long as I have my computer outside! The problem is that it basically has to be at chest hight to get a good signal for some reason. So I've figured out, in my room, I can get a good signal if I put the computer in the windowsill... At first this worried me but I had used my computer lock to tie the computer down to the bed so it won't fall out the window... hahaha how crazy is this?

So that night I got to talk to Kate extensively about Judaism and a little about each other haha. And today Kate's friend Ted got to Israel! So I have someone to hang out with again. I'm gonna be his tour guide for the week which will give me something to do. I had dinner with him and his friend and his friend's brother. She took us to an awesome restaurant where you basically got all you can eat bread and salads and then some kababs of amazing meat. I had the young chicken which was so good... a little expensive but I've been saving a lot by not eating out at all basically... thanks to Safta! Although she confuses me she is pretty awesome!

Anyway tomorrow I'm going to wake up and take Ted around Tel Aviv and plan the rest of the week so he can see Israel in 4 days... crazy!

TTYL homiez
Omz

No comments: