The Indian in the Cupboard: 10-12-08 Tehila...the cutest baby ever... and lots of good times!

Sunday, October 12, 2008

10-12-08 Tehila...the cutest baby ever... and lots of good times!

Just to catch up... Yom Kippur went well!  Easy fast and really amazing davening.  There's a guy named Chananol(sorry because that must be spelled wrong) Greenwald, brother of Yoni Greenwald in case you did a MEOR trip, who is an amazing singer and lead a bunch of the songs.  Somehow about 7 straight hours of davening were better than 2 or 3 back home.  Maybe I just know more about what's going on or maybe the songs are better... or both but it was really awesome... and now services feel short and easy haha.

Anyway it's the begining of the festival of Sukkot where Jews build little shacks which we lived in in the desert after leaving Egypt.  I hear it's the best holiday to be in Jerusalem for.  There's going to be partying for the entire week.  And we're all going to sleep in these shacks and eat all our major meals in them and drink and be happy.  We've been building them for people all over the city and everywhere you look... porches, balconies, yards, rooftops... there's a sukkah!  

Today Kate and I went to visit her friend Malka, daughter of Rabbi Greene from JEC.  She just had a baby boy! There are many occasions for parties in the Jewish community.  One of them is when a boy is born, the Shabbat of that week there will usually be a party celebrating the boy and all the good deeds he'll do in the world.  Malka and her husband Yoni were so sweet and fun to be around(I hadn't met them at all before the party).  Kate worked with Malka's father and now she volunteers every week to help Malka prepare for meals (since she was pregnant and now that she just had a baby).  

So today we took her other baby girl, Tehila, to the park.  This is most likely the cutest baby I've ever seen.  Her eyes are huge and she was so much fun.  She's at the point where she understands a lot and has a tiny vocabulary like "wee" and "bye bye" and "meow" (when she sees a cat) and "yea" (when she wants to go on the swing more).  Kate got a bunch of pictures of her so I hope she puts them online.  Ugh so cute I just wanted to play with her all day.  

So also, Kate and I have been talking about what we're going to do when we get back.  I just talked to my dad and he told me about this woman in NY that I might be able to work with.  I've heard about her ever since my dad started working with her and she sounds amazing, honest, and since she's observant she'll understand me and what I'm doing with my life!  Not sure if that was excited for anyone else but it sure is for me.  Kates been exploring options between learning to be a teacher and acting.  I'm excited to see what she ends up doing.  She's been volunteering for so many families it's amazing because she's learning how to make all the best foods from each house haha.  Especially how to master Challah... that's a serious task.  And also she's meeting and introducing me to some of the most interesting and amazing people.  You might think Jewish mothers just cook and clean but they are usually more impressive than the husbands because they cook and clean, raise tons of kids and then somehow manage to become accomplished teachers, writers, therapists, social workers, real estate agents, artists etc.

Ok I think its time for Maariv.

Love 
Omri

No comments: